Different occasions may require you to tape something on the windows of your home or office. When doing that, we don’t realise how difficult it will be to remove the sellotape residue from glass.
You might not realise it immediately, but you’ve put yourself in a bad spot – there is sellotape all over the glass which you’ll have to remove. You may think that’s nothing, but adhesive tape doesn’t easily peel off of glass surface.
Not only celebrations, but a lot of different occasions may involve taping something on the window surfaces. What’s bad is the longer the tape has been on the window, the harder for you to get rid of it. This is the reason you may be in a terrible need of help.
What to do? This guide on how to remove sellotape marks from glass is for you.
Tools You Need to Remove Sellotape Marks from Glass
- window cleaning solution
- microfibre cloth
More Information About the Tools
Just a cloth and some detergent won’t save your windows from the sellotape residue. You need the scrapper if you want optimal results. There are many types out there, so you better pick up one that is specially designed for windows. Otherwise you may damage the window surface and once it’s scratched you’ll be very disappointed.
The other tools we have listed are meant for cleaning the windows. After you remove the sellotape marks from the glass you may continue with the whole window surfaces. Removing only the sellotape isn’t enough, because some glue may be left on the window and it will attract new dirt. Thoroughly wash the window and it will be clean for longer.
How to Remove Sellotape Marks From Glass
- Fill the bucket in with lukewarm water.
- Follow the instructions and put the window cleaning solution into the water.
- Leave the bucket aside.
- Spray the window cleaning solution onto the residue. By keeping it wet you’ll remove the sellotape marks easier.
- Take your scraper. Gently scrape what is left from the sellotape. Be careful, otherwise you may scratch the glass surface.
- Continue with the scraping until there are no marks. If needed spray window cleaning solution again.
- Take your cloth and dip it into the soapy water. Wash the window thoroughly.
- Take your squeegee and gently swipe the soapy water away. Start with one of the sides and bring the squeegee to the other one.
- Repeat until the window is completely clean.
- Use the tissues if there is water dripping on the window frames.
- Leave to dry on it’s own. Wiping the window usually leaves smudges.
More on How to Get Sellotape Marks off Glass
Since glass can be scratched very easily you should be careful with the cleaning materials you pick out. Different cleaning tools are meant to clean different areas of your home and if picked wrong they can cause more damages than actually help you.
Different types of sellotape stick and last different time. As one can be very easy to remove, another can be way harder to remove. Even the residue may last long after you’ve removed the tape. We suggest you try different types and find the one that best suits your needs.
Another tricky part is the scraper.
We’ve heard people use actual razors to remove sellotape residue from glass, but this can turn terribly bad. Razors are not meant for cleaning and even if it seems a good idea – it is not. They can scratch your windows so bad, that you’ll actually wish you have never bought them. Better stick to the scraper which is designed specially for scraping things off.
So, this guide on how to remove sellotape residue form glass, particularly from your windows, should do the work. In case there are very stubborn marks we suggest you repeat the steps at least two times. Always make sure the residue is wet, as it will come off way easier.
We suggest you leave the windows wet and just dry the frames. When you leave the windows to dry naturally they turn out shinier and more presentable. No matter what cloth you want to use to dry them, it is inevitable for them to end up with smudges and streaks.